WATC > News > SkillsUSA Gold Medalist Promotes Involvement

SkillsUSA Gold Medalist Promotes Involvement

by admin on January 31, 2012

Jeramy Lamar’s involvement with Wichita Area Technical College began 14 years ago. He received his Certificate of Completion in Aircraft Sheetmetal  in 1998.  He then went on to work at a few different places before deciding to go back to school.  ”I really liked the way WATC trained me so I wanted to come back for more classes,” said Jeramy.  He is currently working on two degrees, (Mechanical Engineering Design and Architectural Design Technology).  He is planning on completing both of the associates degree programs by December 2012, adding to his existing Associate’s Degree in Machining Technology from December 2010.

Jeramy’s participation in SkillsUSA started in 2009-2010.  He heard about the organization and was intrigued, so he started going to meetings and became the Vice President of the WATC SkillsUSA chapter.  He has competed in the state contest for three years, resulting in a gold medal in Automated Manufacturing, silver in Quiz Bowl, and bronze in Mechanical Drafting.  He is planning to compete in either Mechanical Drafting, or Automated Manufacturing this year. Jeramy has been President of the WATC SkillsUSA Chapter since August 2011.

“What I do as the president of the WATC skills chapter is try and promote skills to new students, which is the biggest thing I can do.

SkillsUSA has been a growing experience for me.  I have learned a lot about myself, and how leadership works.  I was a person that had problems talking to groups of people.  The position I have has really given me a chance to work on talking to groups.  I have also learned that being a leader has its up and downs with the fact that you can’t do everything that you would like to do.”

Jeramy goes on to say that SkillsUSA is a great way to help a person gain confidence. ”SkillsUSA gives everyone a chance to put their best foot forward.  There is more to college than just classes; you just have to put yourself in other experiences.”

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: