Information for Businesses
WATC asks that employers provide meaningful work opportunities for their students. An internship is designed to introduce the student to real-world duties and responsibilities. This not only helps the students shape their own career objectives, but provides many benefits to employers.
- Provides well-prepared short-term employees to assist current employees, so they have opportunity to pursue higher projects
- Meets peak or seasonal needs without a long-term commitment
- Offers a low-cost method of training potential future employees
- Creates a recruiting edge on campus
- Helps to identify potential future hires, a pipeline for candidates
- Acts as a recruiting activity with Low Risk
- Provides an opportunity for supervisory experience for developing employees
- A way to gain short term talent
- Provide the organization with fresh ideas
- Fulfill a civic and professional responsibility by providing students with real work experience
- Low-cost, high quality labor
- Build Relationships with Local Colleges
- Increase Diversity
A company need not have a formal internship program in order to host a student, but should provide a position of responsibility for students in a professional environment, under the supervision of an on-site professional.
We welcome employers to engage our students in alternative settings. You are welcome to set-up on-campus interview days at WATC or arrange a tour of your facilities for WATC students. Contact us for details.
Requirements such as duration of internship, starting/end date, and other administrative details vary by college major. Pay rate is typically not set, but rather negotiated between the student and employer. While some students will receive college credit for their internship, please keep in mind that many students rely on their summer or part-time jobs to help cover the costs of education.
To post an internship or summer job on our database click here. (link to http://www.collegecentral.com/watc/ )
You may also contact Career Services to request an intern: Sequana Kimbrel at 316.677.1646 or firstname.lastname@example.org.